Friday 2 July 2010

Shpangle Jewellery

One very talented crafter is the subject of today’s feature. His items are so eye-catching that it’s not surprising that he is so successful. Mick Cluley from Leicestershire is a self taught jewellery designer and maker who started Shpangle Jewellery 3 years ago. I spoke to Mick to find out why he has so much success.

What inspires you?

I’m inspired by everything in the world around me, especially looking at everyday items and seeing there natural beauty. I like taking things around me for example real flowers and even sweets and incorporating them into my jewellery.

Do you have a favourite item out of your range?

My favourite item will have to be a resin pendant containing recycled strips of newspaper, of which each strip contains the word ‘love’ in various different fonts. I really like how simple it is, it took me so long to look through my local newspaper to find suitable words.

What are your plans for the future?

I would really like to use more recycled objects as well as turning everyday pieces into art. I would also like to continue with the art of rice writing which I have just recently started learning which I find is a very skilful art.

What is your favourite tip for other crafters?

Don’t copy other crafters but seek inspiration. But most importantly be yourself with your art.


If you would like to see more of Mick’s work check out his blog
http://www.shpangle.blogspot.com/
or visit his website
http://www.shpangle.co.uk/

No comments:

Post a Comment